Recipe: The Robertson Small's breakfast loaf
Forget the sourdough or banana bread - try your hand at making The Small's breakfast loaf.
1000g bread flour
80g rye flour
400g cake flour
200g whole-wheat flour, sieved
6g wet yeast or 1/2 packet dry yeast
1680g cold water
• Place all the ingredients in a cake mixer with the paddle attachment and mix at medium speed to form a smooth batter.
• Place in a clean plastic container and refrigerate overnight.
60g sesame seeds
60g rolled oats
60g sunflower seeds
180g crushed wheat
15g chopped pumpkin seeds
550g boiling water
• Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl and pour over the boiling water.
• Allow the seeds to absorb all the water, 1-2 hours and refrigerate until needed.
1000g whole wheat flour (nutty wheat)
300g seed soaker
55g honey or molasses
30g brown sugar
20g wet yeast or 1 packet dry yeast
50g olive oil
750g cold water
• Preheat your over to 200°C.
• Lightly grease 4 bread loaf tins with butter, fat or ghee.
• Place all the ingredients except the water in a cake mixer.
• Start mixing on slow speed and add the water slowly, mix for 3 minutes.
• Turn the mixer to medium speed and mix for 6 minutes.
• This can be done by hand using a wooden spoon, stir fast for 10 minutes.
• Place the dough in an oiled container and leave to ferment for 45 minutes.
• Place 650g batter in each bread tin and flatten with the back of a wet wooden spoon to even out.
• Leave to prove for 45 minutes or until the dough crowns half a centimetre below the rim of the tin.
• Spray the top of the loaf with water and sprinkle a mixture of sesame, linseed and pumpkin seeds on top.
• Bake for 35-40 minutes.